The holiday season is a time for big family gatherings, Christmas movies, and high energy bills. Wait a minute…one of those doesn’t belong! Although you may be doing a lot of baking, driving, and entertaining, you don’t have to waste any energy doing so. Take a look at this simple list of energy saving tips and see how many you can stick to this holiday season.
- Make the switch to LED Christmas lights. They use up to 90% less energy!
- Turn off room lights when the tree is on (it’s prettier that way anyway).
- Hook up both interior and exterior Christmas lights to a timer so they only come on when it’s dark.
- Take a walk to see the light displays instead of driving your car.
- Purchase Energy Star appliances and electronics for gifts. They use 40% less energy than other varieties.
- Bake several dishes at once in the oven. An oven needs just as much energy to heat one dish as it does three.
- Wait for that last dessert plate before you run the dishwasher. A full load is the only way to efficiently run the machine.
- Leave the oven door open after baking to get some free heat.
- Cook food faster (and with less energy) by leaving lids on pots.
- Unplug electronics before you leave for a trip to avoid phantom energy loss.
- Turn your thermostat down a few degrees before a family gathering. Ovens and extra body heat will easily make up for it.
- If you need a little extra heat in a room try using a space heater instead of turning up your thermostat.
We hope this list of tips helps you plan for your holiday season. Do all the baking, relaxing, and lighting you want…just do it with energy savings in mind! These tips aren’t just for the holidays, many of them can be used all year long. Make them a part of your everyday life to save money (and energy) year round.
Merry Christmas from Heat & Cool!